Overseas study in Spain know about Spain study

In Western Europe, it covers most of the Iberian Peninsula and has two archipelagos (the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands) and two autonomous cities in North Africa – Ceuta and Melilla. It divides Spain into 17 autonomous regions and 2 autonomous cities. 

The form of Government is a Parliamentary monarchy. It is a country member of the European Union and a non-confessional state, where Catholicism is the main religion. 

Spain is the 13th largest economy in the world, the 5th largest in the European Union and the second-largest investor in Latin America, after the USA. Similarly, Spain ranks 10th world’s scientific power in 2013 and the main research areas where Spain has a large science base are health, ICT, Environment, Food and Agriculture, Energy, Material Sciences and Social Sciences. Spanish companies are offered internationally for leadership in, engineering infrastructure, health and biotechnology, engineering infrastructure, ICT, financial services, manufacturing technologies, and tourism among others.

Why should we study overseas in Spain ?

The Spanish higher education system is formed by 82 universities (50 public, the rest private), 322 research institutes and 78 science and technology parks, all distributed in the Spanish region, and the cities that focus the largest number of universities Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia are.

Academic excellence, international recognition and research capacity of Spanish Universities: 9 Spanish Universities in the top 400 HIE ranking (Times Higher Education 2014); 7 Spanish Universities in the top 100 under 50 HIE (Times Higher Education 2014). Spanish universities contribute 2/3 of Spain’s total scientific output with international visibility.

Worldwide leading MBA Schools IESE, Instituto de Empresa and ESADE: in the top 20 Global MBA School (Financial Times 2015) and top 10 European Business School ranking (Financial Times 2014). Value of Spanish as language: Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world, after Mandarin Chinese, and the primary, the official or co-official language of 21 countries. 

Recognition of Spanish university titles in over 30 member countries of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA): It provides acceptance and recognition of Spanish qualifications in other countries outside Europe, such as the United States, Asia, and Latin America. 

The Spanish university entrance exam is no longer required for foreign students. Preferred place for postgraduate students and researchers from Latin America and top-notch destination for European university students under the Erasmus program. Tuition fees and living costs are lower than in other European countries 

This will include the total cost which are :

Bachelor Degree: 680 – 1,400 Euros a year depending on the particular study program. 

Master’s Programs: The prices of enrolment in the Master’s Programs and the Doctorate Programs in public universities are within a fixed rate of 17 and 65 Euros per credit. Official Master’s and Doctoral Degrees free ranges from 995 to 1,920 Euros per academic year. Fees in private universities are established by the university itself. 

Living expenses for one year: 900 – 1,100 Euro per month depending on the city 

Work and Career 

Employers prefer candidates who have primary knowledge of Spanish. Engineering and the area where job prospects are more promising. Opportunity to work for Spanish multinationals around the world and leaders in many fields like energy, environment, ICT, engineering and construction companies, tourism and financial sector, amongst others. Work experience in Spain may provide an opportunity for the dynamic markets of Latin America and North Africa. A student may work on a part-time basis during the study program. However, the student must ensure that the work does not affect his or her hours of study or research. 


Scholarships available to Indian students and researchers: EU / NATIONAL & REGIONAL LEVEL Erasmus Plus Programme 

European Research Council Funding Scheme (Funding schemes open to top researchers are open to top researchers of any nationality or age who wish to complete their marginal research in 28 EU member states or related countries). Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports, Spain Spanish Agency for International Co-operation and Aid – AECID (Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Spain) M+VISION COFUND: supporting the career development of researchers on bio-imaging TALENT POSTDOC FELLOWSHIPS (2-year fellowship co-financed by the Marie Curie Programme of the European Union, to experienced researchers). 

UNIVERSITIES / INSTITUTIONS PEIN Research Excellence Programme USC – India (Universidad Santiago de Compostela). NCBS-inStem (India) – CRG (Spain) POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS 

How to apply for study in Spain :

ADMISSION TO OFFICIAL DEGREES Bachelor’s Degree – To study for the Spanish Grado (equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree) the student must decide whether they want to start their studies from the beginning (starting their studies in Spain) or if they would like to continue their Grado studies (Bachelor’s degree) that they have already started in their own countries. Starting 

University Studies in Spain: 

  1. Students who hold a pre-university degree equivalent to the Spanish one, or students who have completed pre-university studies in countries of the European Union (EU), Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein Or China should use their respective title and follow the admission process set by the university where they want to study 
  2.  Students who have not completed secondary education in a member state of the European Union, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or China, or students from the rest of the world with recognized foreign qualifications should get official recognition of equivalence to Spanish Bacheller certificate on academic credentials and follow the admission procedure determined by the university where they would like to study.


University studies that have already been started: Students who have started university studies in another country and who wish to continue their studies in Spain, or Spaniards that, having finished their university studies abroad, have not got recognized qualification and want to continue their studies in a Spanish university should get in contact with the Spanish university where they would like to continue their undergraduate studies.

Postgraduate (Master and Doctoral Studies): Foreign students interested in carrying out a master’s or doctoral studies in Spain should apply directly to the Spanish university where they would like to study.  

  • Master – to be admitted on a master’s program, students must meet one of these requirements: 1 – be in possession of a bachelor’s degree got at a university in Spain or in a country of the European Higher Education Area; or 2 – be in possession of a bachelor’s degree got at a university in a country other than those stated above. It must satisfy the Spanish university with the level of the studies leading to this degree is equivalent to that required by getting a bachelor’s degree in Spain. 
  • Doctorate – To access an official doctorate program, it is necessary to have a bachelor’s degree or the Spanish equivalent and an official Master’s degree (RD 99/2011). 


Non-official degrees have diverse program lengths, and requirements. Assuming that these programs are approved by the same issuing university. the requirements vary according to the university that is offering the degree. They may be Bachelor’s or Master’s studies and therefore require, for either case, that students send their official degree and grades of any studies started already. To be admitted into a Spanish university, It is unnecessary for international students with a university degree to obtain official recognition. When a foreign student with university studies wants to enroll in a Spanish university to obtain a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree, they must follow the procedure established in the Spanish university. Although it is unnecessary to get official recognition of an international university degree, when a foreign student wants to do postgraduate studies, the university will validate their degree allowing the student access to the Spanish university.

Visa Process- 

Accommodation Information

The International Offices of Spanish Universities have a Facilitation Desk where all information regarding accommodation is available. It provides logistics and related information to international students. 

Close Menu